Friday, October 5, 2012

First Paddling at Goose Creek, Leesburg, VA

After working so hard and beating the deadline early in the week I was able to take a day off today without losing my PDO (paid-day-off). So I decided to revisit a whitewater class and it was probably my last class of this year. Wow, time flies, doesn't it ?

Right at the edge of the dam.
My instructor, Mike Aronoff at CKAPCO, took me to Goose Creek in Leesburg, Virginia, after we recapped some maneuvers at Lake Audubon for an hour. We started at Goose Creek dam and ended the trip at Kephart Bridge Landing at Elizabeth Mills Riverfront. (I'll tell you more about the place later.) Goose Creek dam is a little hidden place since it's not open to the public. Mike got a special permit from the city so he had an access to it. (Lucky me!) The creek has series of class I-II rapids and flatwater in between so I think it's suitable for a newbie. The water was at 2.08 at the time we paddled. Along the creek there were old mills, residential area, golf course, bridges and a stone quarry (never imagined that). 

NO. We did NOT go down that fall!
And guess what ? I did NOT capsize today even though I got stuck on or between stones a couple times. My butt didn't even get wet at all. What an improvement! (in my opinion. :))  Good scouting and using rudder stroke were super helpful to go through the rapids. It's all about observation, feeling the moving water and the balance.

Taking a break at an old mill. Great view isn't it ? :)
Paddling straight forward is probably the hardest thing to do on a whitewater kayak. I was pretty confident about my forward stroke on a touring/sea kayak but it's because of the structure of the touring kayak's hull and a skeg that help me going straight. My whitewater boat, on the other hand, turned at its will from time to time and was super sensitive to any lean I made. This is because of its clean/round hull shape.

And I always turn my torso when I paddle but still not enough in Mike's opinion. Eww...(But it's good now. :))

Golf Course Rapids...because it's near a golf course.
I think these golf courses should provide a launch ramp on site.
It's a sin to not have access to this creek!
I felt a bit better about my low brace and high brace today. Just a bit. I definitely need a lot more practice so they become natural to me. I couldn't help thinking of those kayakers I watched at the races. Their braces were amazing. Powerful and very effective.

Now I think a whitewater kayak is a good boat to have for practice. (oops! Did I tell you I am still looking for my first touring kayak ? I am darn picky.)

There are always something to learn. So don't let anything stops you from learning and being open-minded in any circumstance. Ever.

Map of the Area
A trip tip from Mike. If you would like to paddle around here, you can launch your boat at Kephart Bridge Landing off Riverpoint Road. This is in a residential area so it might be hard to spot. There are about 10 parking spaces. It's free but the gate closes at dark. Then you can paddle to Algonkian Regional Park. I am told that there is no rapid. So it could be a good day tour. Wait until I get my boat, Potomac! (I don't have a suggestion about where to launch if you want to paddle through rapids though. Sorry.)

Washington and Old Dominion Bike Trial
Who would think Route 7 could be this pretty from down here ?
Anyway, I hope you enjoy the photos. See the whole album from the slideshow below. I didn't have a chance to take many since it's not a good idea to take photos while going through the rapids.

Until next time. Hopefully not too long. The weird weather will hit the area this weekend and my 6-hour trip at Jug Bay got cancelled. Better have a nice weather soon. I haven't witness fall foliage at peak from the water yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment