Sunday, April 8, 2012

The Potamac River, Washington DC

What a lovely day to start paddling for this year (and checked off one place from my wish list of 2012!) I am very sore at the moment. Don't worry! It's good sore. This is as bad as lap swimming except I can breathe through my nose.

Not much to say. Just hope you enjoy the photos. Nothing can describe the experience. It's almost like a dream. (Maybe because I had to wake up at 6:30 on Sunday. ha ha.) If you want to paddle on the Potomac but you are still a newbie like me or don't know exactly where to go, don't know how to read the wind or the current, the river traffic pattern, how to cross a river, check out Ckapco. Mike can arrange something for you. It feels much better to have an experienced paddler with you out there.

Here is our paddling route. It's a 3-hour trip. We took off from Columbia Island Marina, went up north through the channel before hitting the Potomac River.


Starting from Columbia Island Marina




The landmarks


Raft up!


I told you. It's a gorgeous day!



Francis Scott Key Bridge


There were 3-4 more kayaks and canoes on the river today.


Kennedy Center


Look at the sky! I mean Watergate Hotel!


C&O / Rock Creek (My most favorite. It's so very cool!)


C&O Canal - Lock 1




Heading out to the Potomac


And during the first half of the route I used Jackson Journey kayak before switched the boat.

Until next paddling!

No comments:

Post a Comment