Saturday, July 7, 2012

My First Night Kayak Tour at Pohick Bay, Lorton, Virginia

Check out more photos from my photo page.

Just about an hour drive from Reston, Virginia, Pohick Bay is a great place to paddle for a beginner. A safety tip from our tour guide is if you capsize, just stand up. (I love it!) The water is pretty shallow but doesn't mean you can be careless. Wear your life jacket (and tighten it up) anyway.

Paddling toward sunset

I highly recommend this night tour. I am not sure you agree with me but I think it is a nice way to spend your evening before going to bed. It costs you only $30. The park main gate closes at dark so this tour gives you an exclusive access to the bay at night. If you're not a big fan of bugs, put some spray on before embark. Brushing them away while paddling is not fun. (I learnt it hard way.) Bring a flashlight with you since it's pitch-black after the sunlight is gone. There are very few artificial light at the bay.

Our tour guide who has done this for 8 years.
(No raft-up required here!)
Unfortunately I have no photo from the second half of the tour for you since my camera can't handle 'no light' environment. (^^) It's actually the fun part of the tour because we went through narrow path where the water was covered with plants and debris in some areas. It's like going through a maze. I have no idea how our guide knows his way around.

Oh I learnt that there is one, only one, resident at Pohick Bay. Her 3 houses and her 5-acre land right on the waterfront (if I remember correctly) is here before the park. Lucky her! She still lives in one of the houses and rent the two to others.

Great scene. Don't you think ?
The tour lasts about 2 hours excluding the introduction and launching parts. Though the park says no paddling experience is required for this trip I personally think the trip will be more enjoyable for you if you have some.

Definitely do it again. (Actually I already registered for another one!)


Trust me the red moon was big and gorgeous.

My next paddling is going to be a whitewater lesson! Stay tuned!

---------------------- <*)))))< ------------------------

General Information about the tour:

Pohick Bay Official Website: http://www.nvrpa.org/park/pohick_bay/
Where to meet: Marina boat rental (There are about 20 parking spots including ADA ones.)
How to register and make payment: Registration is required, over the phone only, accept only Visa and Master Card.
What to bring: water, bug spray, a flashlight

I wish I had these in my backyard!

Also good to know: A boat rental is available. There are canoes, kayak, tandem kayak, paddle boards and Jon boats. Launch-your-own-boat area is a bit further down on the same road. You just need to pay the fee. Restrooms and vending machine are available. 

Check out more photos from my photo page.

3 comments:

  1. haha.. Just stand up might not apply in parts of the potomac, but definitely sound advice there! pics are beautiful as always, what a nice outting! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Christine, I hope you could join me next time! :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete