Sunday, August 19, 2012

Lake Audubon, Reston, Virginia

Taking off at 9 am!
The forecast said that we would get few shower on Saturday morning so I didn't want to drive far to other boat rental places. (But we didn't get any. Got a lot of sun instead. Brownie me.) I decided to ask my instructor if I can try some of the school's boats to explore Lake Audubon when the class took place. I had been wanting to explore this lake since it is so lovely in fall.  My request was granted so here I was. Paddling.


Houses
Lake Audubon is a bit bigger than Lake Anne and surrounded by higher-end housing but no boat rental available. The launch boat here is very active and no fee is charged. I took some photos and I hope you enjoy them. (You can check out more photos on my new photo page on Shutterfly. I am in a progress of moving my photos from multiply.com as it is closing down its photo sharing service.)

Aww there is a little cove to explore here...
A pedestrian bridge number 37 over Snakeden Branch.
The prettiest setting for a storm drain I've ever seen so far.
Heading back to the lake
I scared him/her and a couple turtles today. 
Houses around the lake and a lovely sky
Who doesn't love flowers ?! (ok..I was stuck.)
Water can have a pattern too.
Sleeping Duckies
Jackson Journey 13.5, my ride in the morning.

I also took this opportunity to paddle (and carry) 2 kayaks, Jackson Journey 13.5 and 14. And of course practiced paddling strokes and maneuvers. I'll write about them on a separate blog. Yep! I am on the search for a boat. We'll see if I decide to keep renting for another year instead.

Oh well I am sore. (good sore) I ended up paddling for over 3 hours instead of 2 hours as planned. My instructor talked me out of it with by asking a very simple question "Did you practice all your strokes ?" Eww.

Anyway, I would say you can paddle around the lake for fun in less than 1 hour. 

Until next paddling. If the schedule works out, I'll be canoeing at Riverbend! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment